What is MRI Scan? Know about it
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan is an imaging technique used for medical purposes. This technique uses a magnetic field and computer-generated radio waves to generate detailed images of the body organs and tissues.
Since its invention, doctors and researchers continue to refine MRI techniques to assist in medical procedures and research. The development of MRI revolutionized medicine.
In this article, you’ll study MRI and its various aspects.
Why MRI is done?
MRI is a noninvasive way for the doctor to examine the organs, tissues, and skeletal system of an individual. It produces high-resolution images of the inside of the body that help diagnose a variety of problems.
MRI of the brain and spinal cord
MRI is the most frequently used imaging test of the brain and spinal cord. It’s often performed to help diagnose:
- Disorders of the eye and inner ear
- Aneurysms of cerebral vessels
- Brain injury from trauma
- Multiple sclerosis
- Spinal cord disorders
MRI of the heart and blood vessels
MRI that focuses on the heart or blood vessels can assess:
- Size and function of the heart’s chambers
- Thickness and movement of the walls of the heart
- The extent of damage caused by heart attacks or heart disease
- Structural problems in the aorta, such as aneurysms or dissections
- Inflammation or blockages in the blood vessels
MRI of other internal organs
MRI can check for tumors or other abnormalities of many organs in the body, including the following:
- Liver and bile ducts
MRI of bones and joints
MRI can help evaluate:
- Joint abnormalities caused by traumatic or repetitive injuries, such as torn cartilage or ligaments
- Disk abnormalities in the spine
- Bone infections
- Tumors of the bones and soft tissues
How to prepare for MRI?
Before an MRI exam, eat normally and continue to take your usual medications, unless otherwise instructed. You will typically be asked to change into a gown and to remove things that might affect the magnetic imaging, such as:
- Hearing aids
- Underwire bras
- Cosmetics that contain metal particle
To book your appointment for MRI at Grecian Hospital, call us at 62837-05192. The MRI machines in the hospital are of the latest technology and give 100% accurate reports.
Visit Grecian Super Speciality Hospital located at Sector 69, Mohali, Punjab.